In the solo concerts in Cambridge and in West Sussex, Máximo will be playing his own compositions as well as music by some of the “Fathers” of the Argentinian Guitar, such as Atahualpa Yupanqui.
- Saturday, 10 November 7:30pm: Recital at St Paul’s Centre, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 1JP. Tickets are £17 (£12 children and students) from firstname.lastname@example.org, from Cambridge Strings in Kings Street, or online via CambridgeLive (+12.5% booking fee).
- Sunday, 11 November: Recital staged by the West Sussex Guitar Club at the Regis School of Music, Bognor Regis. The ticket prices here will be: £15.00 (£10.00 – members; under 18 – free). For more information, see https://www.westsussexguitar.org/events-diary/
There will be three master classes in Cambridge, in Glisson Road, Cambridge, just round the corner from St Paul’s Church:
- Wednesday, 7 November, 5pm-8:30pm
- Friday, 9 November, 2pm-5pm
- Friday, 9 November, 7pm-10pm
The master classes are open to all levels of player, as well as to those who prefer to listen and not play. For solo players, each slot is 45 minutes, with at least 40 minutes interaction with Pujol, at £45. Ensemble slots will be longer, at 60 minutes for £80.
Listeners can sit in at all three sessions for £10; players are of course welcome to listen at all sessions at no extra cost.
If you are interested in the master classes, whether as a player or as a listener, please book your place here: https://goo.gl/forms/8E8YqQuZDNuIag7I2 . We will sort out the schedule and confirm bookings during October.
Talk / demo on the history of tango:
On Saturday afternoon, 10 November, 3pm, Máximo will give a talk on the “History of Tango”, illustrated with live and recorded musical examples, and dancers from Cambridge Tango Academy. It will be in St Paul’s Centre, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 1JP.
Máximo will explore the origins of Tango (1880-1930), discuss the “Golden Age” of Tango (1930-1950) and end with a review of Tango today, illustrating each of these periods with musical examples. If we are lucky, there will also be a demonstration of the dance …
During the visit in Cambridge, Máximo will be running a short series of ensemble sessions with young guitarists at a local school. These sessions are not open to the public.